Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Attention: Milestone approaching

In case you've been wondering, I am planning to post a list of all the cool stuff Brett can do in time for his second birthday. While you're waiting, here's a cute story about making cookies.

I decided it would be fun to get Brett's help making oatmeal cookies after dinner tonight. I brought the big bowl, measuring implements and ingredients to the kitchen table. He stood on a chair and politely looked at the recipe as I explained what it was. The real fun began when I started measuring. His index finger went into every cup: the flour, oatmeal, sugar and baking soda were all poked. He tried to smell the cinnamon but blew out instead of in and got some on his shirt. He got excited about the yellowness of the egg, and the sweetness of the corn syrup. He helped himself to the dried cranberries, raisins and chocolate chips I "accidentally" dropped beside the bowl. He even flattened a few balls of dough and put them on the tray. The real fun though, was when he realized he could pick individual chocolate chips out of the bowl of dough. He's not that dexterous, but he did manage to eat quite a few as I tried to work around him. I could've asked him to stop, I guess. But it was so funny watching him try to pick mini chips out of this big bowl of dough. And he was so happy with each one he grabbed: "caw-co chip, Mommy!"

I put the cookies in the oven while he dragged Daddy upstairs for a few rounds of "Ah-ba-ceeees" (on the computer lately). He didn't seem all that thrilled when they came out of the oven, or when I offered him a warm one to eat. I shrugged, knowing that he'll be happy to eat them tomorrow.

He had a bath and his usual bedtime routine. As I was saying night-nights with him, he suddenly sat up, made the sign for thank you and said quietly "tank-oo cookie Mama."

What a nice child I have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home