Saturday, November 19, 2005

Let the peeing begin

Two nights ago I took Brett's diaper off and prepared to lift him into the bath.

"Mommy," he said. "I pee." And sure enough, a little golden stream was pooling just in front of his feet.

"Wait!" I cried. I dragged the potty over and stood him in front of it. The flow stopped momentarily, then began again, aimed almost perfectly into the little bowl. He even held his penis just like a grown-up man (left hand -- any comments?). The thrill of the beginning of potty training!

We announced his accomplishment to the house and he was congratulated. Mom friends I consulted advised it may be weeks before he does it again. That's ok. It's a start.

This morning I hoped for a repeat performance. Took off the diaper, stood him in front of the potty. He stepped back and after a moment, the flow began. And he turned.

"Not on the bathmat!" I moved quickly to get it out of range and turned Brett back to face the potty. He stepped back and began to pee on the floor.

"In the potty, Brett," I corrected, and moved him again. He stepped back again and turned. Another few drops on the floor.


"Noooo!" I said and turned him again. He took a few steps towards the toilet, indicated he wanted to try there. Unfortunately, he could just as easily have meant the mat in front of the toilet.

"Nothing doing," I said. "In the potty or the diaper goes on." He ran into the hallway and paused, bending just slightly at the knees. I whipped that diaper on him so fast I'm sure I saw the first few drops get absorbed in it instead of falling on the carpet. He tried to pull the diaper off, but I had battened down the velcro too securely for his two-year-old hands to remove.

I now dread bowel training.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

retarted!

3:21 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home