Monday, May 14, 2007

Farewell, old friend

We went to Vernon last weekend to celebrate Mother's Day with Randy's family. While we were there I had a visit with my old kitty Rufie. He's been living with Randy's mom Dianne since Brett was about six months old.

Anyone who knew Rufie had a word to describe him. For some it was cranky, for others, crotchety. Everyone agreed he was one of a kind. He survived falling out my apartment window; moving from Toronto to Vancouver and back a couple of times; sharing homes with other pets, roommates and friends; late-night parties; traumatic vet appointments and most of my twenties and thirties. He was more of a roommate than a pet, really. And lately, he was a companion to my mother-in-law.

On Saturday he looked old and tired. He felt even skinnier than usual. His fur was matted in spots -- he was obviously having trouble keeping himself clean. I cut his nails and he tolerated a cuddle. Dianne and I talked about plans. I said good-bye.

It happened sooner than we expected. Rufie didn't leave the couch all day yesterday, and didn't get up to greet Dianne today. He barely complained when she loaded him into his carrier this afternoon (very unusual for him!). She held him at the vet's and he purred while they gave him the injection. He was 19 -- exceedingly old for a cat.

Farewell, old friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home